"To make an
informed choice, parents of all male infants should be given accurate
and unbiased information."
Circumcision Policy Statement, American Academy of Pediatrics,
|A 3 X 5 card is about the
size of an adult
foreskin. It is a highly specialized organ
containing the following anatomical items--
by >Gary L. Harryman,
When a baby
boy's normal intact penis is circumcised, this is what is lost --
of most of these items reduces sexual pleasure, gratification, and
which comprises up to 50% (sometimes more) of the mobile skin system of
the penis. If unfolded and spread out flat, the average adult foreskin
would measure about 15 square inches (the size of a 3 x 5-inch index
card). This highly specialized tissue normally covers the glans and
protects it from abrasion, drying, callusing (keratinization), and
contaminants of all kinds. The effects of these losses on male and female
sexuality have never been studied.
2. The pleasures of his RIDGED BAND -- the primary erogenous zone on
the male body. Loss of this delicate belt of densely innervated,
sexually responsive accordion-like
reduces the fullness and intensity of sexual response -- male and female.
3. His foreskin's "GLIDING ACTION" -- the hallmark mechanical
feature of the normal, natural, intact penis. This non-abrasive gliding
of the penis in and out of itself within the vagina facilitates smooth,
comfortable, pleasurable intercourse for both partners. Without this
gliding action, the corona of the circumcised penis can function as a
one-way valve, scraping vaginal lubricants out into the drying air and
making artificial lubricants essential for comfortable intercourse.
4. Thousands of coiled fine-touch receptors called the MEISSNER'S
CORPUSCLES -- the most important sensory component of the foreskin. Also
lost are branches of the DORSAL NERVE and between 10,000 and 20,000
SPECIALIZED EROTOGENIC NERVE ENDINGS of several types, which can feel
slight motion and stretch, subtle changes in temperature, and fine
gradations in texture.
5. His FRENULUM, the highly erogenous, V-shaped, web-like, tethering
structure on the underside of the glans; frequently amputated along with
the foreskin, or severed, either of which destroys its function and
potential for pleasure.
6. Approximately half of his temperature-sensitive smooth muscle sheath
called the DARTOS FASCIA.
7. The IMMUNOLOGICAL DEFENSE SYSTEM of his SOFT MUCOSA, which produces
plasma cells, which secrete immunoglobulin antibodies, and antibacterial
and antiviral proteins such as the pathogen-killing enzyme lysozyme.
8. LYMPHATIC VESSELS, the loss of which reduces the lymph flow within
that part of his body's immune system.
9. ESTROGEN RECEPTORS -- the purpose of which is not yet fully
understood and needs further study.
10. The APOCRINE GLANDS of his inner foreskin, which produce PHEROMONES
-- nature's powerful, silent, invisible behavioral signals to potential
sexual partners. The effect of their absence on human sexuality has
never been studied.
11. Specialized epithelial LANGERHANS CELLS, a component of his immune
system in his whole natural penis.
12. The pink to red to dark purple NATURAL COLORATION of the glans. The
connective tissue which protectively fuses the foreskin and glans
together while the penis develops is ripped apart during circumcision,
wounding the glans and the foreskin remnant, leaving them raw and
subject to infection, scarring, pitting, shrinkage, and eventual
13. The pleasures of his full PENIS
LENGTH and PENIS CIRCUMFERENCE because its double-layered wrapping of
loose and usually overhanging foreskin is now missing, making his
circumcised penis truncated and thinner than a full-sized natual penis.
14. Several feet of BLOOD VESSELS, including the FRENULAR ARTERY and
branches of the DORSAL ARTERY. The loss of this rich VASCULARIZATION
interrupts normal blood flow to the shaft and glans of the penis,
damaging the natural function of the penis and altering its development.
15. Every year boys lose their ENTIRE PENISES from circumcision
accidents and infections. They are then "sexually reassigned"
by castration and "transgender surgery," and expected to live
their lives as "females."
16. Every year many boys lose THEIR LIVES from the complications of
circumcision, a fact the profiteering billion-dollar-a-year circumcision
industry in the U.S. obscures and ignores.
17. His SENSE OF TRUST and EMOTIONAL BONDING with
his mother are damaged
and replaced with fear, confusion, and a sense of betrayal by the
excruciating pain which he can neither fight nor flee damages his
SELF-CONFIDENCE and HARDINESS and LOWER HIS PAIN THRESHOLD below that of
intact boys and girls. (Amputating a boy's multi-functional foreskin
is a low-grade neurological
castration, which cripples and diminishes the sexual experience for both
and women. The natural foreskin
is not dangerous -- it makes sex as Nature
intended possible. The
radical sexual surgery we call "male circumcision" is
dangerous, harmful, and reduces the range and intensity of sexual
for the disendowed victim and his sexual partners.)
Also posted at:
Back to Anatomy